Some development shots from my FMP in engine..
After the main structure of the lodge was pretty much complete I moved onto to creating the interior and closing off the area.
Just a few quick assets I made to go into Jonah, the first been wooden sluices which is used for mining to channel water through.
In the project we’ve currently used them to channel water from the water tower to the town as well as just broken ones around the town to populate it. I made a few variations so they could be used multiple times and not look out of place.
I also created some land plots as it was common for people to buy there plots and not build straight away and this would stop people encroaching on their land, they could also be used for mining claims.
For the textures I used a material I already had in the engine for the sluices and used one of Matt’s for the land plots to save time and to not add any more draw calls.
The second building for the client project I decided to create was a hotel for the town, using the concept from peer. Before I started modelling I looked at some reference imagery. One image in particular was useful. (Not my own image)
Following this I started modelling, my intention was to keep it as efficient as possible, using few meshes and one texture atlas for the full building. Once I’d finished the main parts of the hotel I split it into three meshes an tested it in UE4. With it been only three meshes for such a large building the lightmaps had nowhere near enough resolution. I then broke it up into fifteen meshes which worked out much better.
I ended up with this in engine which I didn’t think would be too bad with text added to the signs but kind of looked a bit bland. So I used Gareth’s technique to print off an image of the building and draw over it.
This was a quick way to add some more details and make it more interesting to look at.
I will still make a few more tweaks but this is pretty much the hotel at completion.
Here are a couple of buckets I’ve done for Jonah..
There are still a few issues with them that can be sorted with some tweaks to the materials. And here is the axe that I’ve also done for Jonah..
Again a few things need to be tweaked like the clear brush strokes on the head of the axe but it’s pretty much finished.
With the unit setup in UE4 been 1 unreal unit (uu) = 1 cm I’ve made my player height 180 uu which is roughly 6 foot. The door heights will be 200 uu with the width of a single door 120 uu and double door 240 uu. With setting these standard heights it will help me keep everything to the correct scale.
( Project Example)
Phillip Maclennan Games Design Blog. "Nothing Is Generic"
Jason Pook's Games Design Blog
An independent video game studio in Portland, OR
The Final Major Project of Matt Lane
David Smith - Games Designer, Gamer and Full Time Geek
Welcome to the thought factory
Complete Flash game tutorials in ActionScript 3
Student at Hull College - BA (Honours) Degree
A fine WordPress.com site
The work of Craig Overton
My world, the people, the places, the technology, the culture, the wars, the weapons, the deaths and births of many characters.
From the Ashes
Games Design Degree Work
More than just pretty pictures!
Get Inspired. Go Crazy. Create.
Games Games and more Games!
Game Dev Blog - (A HE Education, Research Project)
Work, Work and Work some more.
Art, Design, Books, Music, Ephemera, Esotericism, Eclecticism...
Year 3 Games Design Student
Year 3 Game Design HSAD Student
...(was) just a games design student