This is the raw flythrough footage I made for my presentation, I may edit it in the future..
These are a few beauty shots of my final map/environment in UDK which I submitted for my year 2 self initiated project..
I may carry on the project because I feel I could of made it look much better with some extra assets, different buildings and improved lighting. I might bring it into Unreal Engine 4 to compare how it looks.
Earlier in the year Gareth told us about analyzing and viewing or work from different peoples perspectives or lenses. This is beneficial for a designer because the different views will alter your designs and improve your work. The perspectives I will use for looking at my own work:
- My own as a student
- A member of the general public
- My peers
- An industry professional
With the hand in and us presenting the product in a public area coming up soon me and James went round to Matts house Monday night to work on it to get it looking good before rendering out the flythrough. We basically just filled in the blank areas or areas that didn’t feel and look correct, we did this with assets and the use of modular walls. I was mainly building some assets and populating the area with the generic housing and other assets, below are some examples.
There are also lots of others areas that we have improved and added to like foliage, extra assets, more buildings created from modular pieces etc, making the environment feel more complete.
This is a column I forgot to add to my building.
I’ve created the outside wall for the opposite side of the station to what I previously created, It’s where the buses come in now and the street was called Collier Street (I think). Courtesy of Matt and Jamie I had some reference images (seen below) from around the 60’s which helped me a lot because it is very different now.
From these I began to model some low poly modular wall pieces, with there only been roughly a week until hand in and the presenting of the piece I didn’t recreate it as good and as accurate as I could of.
As you can see from the images there where a few problems, the first being that there where lines on the windows and Initially I didn’t realise why, I thought it may of been lighting issues but then realized it was the UV showing underneath (rookie mistake) so fixed it by simply hiding the layer in Photoshop. Another problem that isn’t shown in the images is that there is flickering on the windows pains where I have clipped two meshes through each other in 3DS max, I haven’t rectified this yet due to time scale but hope to before the September show, it isn’t a massive issue though.
This is the final version of the wall for the hand in and for presenting it in Prospect center. I think it’s okay but would like to tweak it further for September other then the fix I previously mentioned I would also like to change the windows as they are just black with a specular map on them so they look shiny like windows. I would also like to add a few more wall pieces to make it as accurate as possible and find out if the door had windows in 1914 or not as I have done them without.