Some more observational drawings I did..
This is the second version of my wardrobe..
I’ve decided to make it look more old and worn out, I may of gone a little too far with it but I think it looks okay. Matt showed me how to do an ambient occlusion map for the model.
He also helped me to put my normal map onto the model in UDK and this is how it has turned out. After I’ve finished unwrapping and texturing my building i will do some more assets, maybe a table and some chairs. This is the new texture i used:
Because I’m doing an old junk shop with lots of furniture outside for ‘the street’ project, I decided to do a wardrobe for my asset. My thinking behind this was it could have been knocked over and create some good cover in front of my building. This is my initial model:
It’s a very simple design and should probably have less polys but I wasn’t sure how to optimize it so I’ve just left it for now. After I finished the model I unwrapped it and put a texture on it in photoshop, I tried to add some stains to the wood to make it look old, as shown below:
It wasn’t complected to unwrap because it is just made up of boxes really. I then put the texture into crazy bump and got a normal map for my model. This is it textured:
It could be improved but I don’t think it is too bad, I will probably tweak it a little at some point, maybe making the normal map a bit stronger. I decided to put my model into UDK and see if i could get the textures to work properly..
I managed to figure how to get the texture and the model and from this side I think it looks pretty good apart from not having the normal map on it, I’m not sure how to do that.
But when you go around the other side of the model the shadows seem to be off and I assume this is what Paul was talking about with the lighting errors so I will have to look into it and fix it.
Paul told us some technical constraints to take into consideration for ‘the street’ project, like the following:
- Have to use FBX file format to put 3DS Max models into UDK.
- Textures have to be TGA (TARGA) file format NOT Jpeg.
- No more then 1024 by 1024 for pixels.
- Objects will have different sized textures depending on close the player can get to them, something very far away doesn’t need a high resolution texture because no one will see it properly
Also watching Matt mess around in UDK I found out that it uses different scales and that when you import models from 3DS Max they might be smaller then they should be. So that is something to take into consideration.