Wooden stool I made for Jonah, Matt helped with the bake.
We was set a challenge to either model a Nintendo 64 in 64 polys, a chair in 128 polys, and a full PC in 256 polys. I decided to go with the Nintendo 64 and was initially struggling to get started with it so Matt helped me with the model. I did the unwrap and the texturing myself and i think it went relativity well for my first attempt at doing this for a complex object. In the end i did it in 57 polys and this is it rendered:
Some of the textures don’t look great because i had to do a lot of clone stamping in Photoshop to get them right but overall i’m pretty pleased for my first attempt. If you saw this in a game i don’t think it would be too out of place really and wouldn’t get much attention drawn to it for being bad. One thing i would change in the future would be to try and get better reference images with less light reflection.
We was set a challenge by Paul to model an random object in 3DS Max for technical production skills, we got our object by picking a card and then all the objects where on the table with a corresponding suit and number and the matching would be your object. I got a cup with 3 pairs of scissors, 2 pens and a toothbrush, i was relatively pleased with my items because some of the others seemed much more difficult. I started by taking lots of reference pictures, a few seen below:
I then started modelling them, beginning with the cup which was relatively easy once i got into it. The hardest bit was the handle which i created by extruding from one point of the cup and then manipulating the vertexes and continuing to extrude it all the way round like a loop to another point on the cup and then attached it by the edges. I then went on to model both the pens and 1 pair of scissors. I thought the toothbrush i did was good but it had like 18,000 polys which isn’t good at all, this is because i did each bristle individual. If i have to model a toothbrush again i will use plane’s and then just texture them to make them look like bristles. This is my model:
As you can see from the renders i haven’t finished 2 pairs of scissors and not textured any of the items, I’ve uploaded it now because i am leaving it for time being because of other projects. I may come back to it at a later date if i have anytime.
A few weeks ago we got set a task in technical production skills to model a random object that was in the building. We got the choice of either easy, medium or hard and then had to pick a random piece of paper out of a bag. I decided to pick easy because I’m not very experienced in 3DS Max and didn’t think It was wise to go any higher. I got a door hinge and took some reference photos to base It off seen below:
Below is the model I created at Its most basic form:
I didn’t finish all the details fully or texture It because we got another challenge the week after which I am currently working on now but I learned quite a lot during the process. I may come back to this and finish It fully.
Ive seen a lot of people playing around with some modelling software called Sculptris so Ive decided to have a look at it as well because Ive never used it before and it looked pretty cool. I was only messing about with it for like 5 minutes and i came up with this…
I know its nothing good but i was just messing about, it looks like some sort of crazy ugly alien.