After the final hand-in for our client related practise project ‘Paragons Past’ in May, we had to look towards our showing at the Hull History Centre in September. With it been summer and the amount of time we had been working on the project most people had a break from it. Then around the beginning of August I personally and I believe others in the group started working on additional assets to improve the project, I worked on the assets shown in this post. As it got closer to the showing (crunch time!) some us in the group started to stay for a few late nights at uni, it wasn’t anywhere near as hectic as the May hand-in and the preparation for the showing at Prospect Centre though. I was mainly populating the area, placing assets and making it feel lived in, for example I created some drainpipes for Matt’s generic housing.
Once we had everything done or as much as we could, Matt took the map to produce a new fly through with all the changes implemented.
This is the fly through we used for the showing.
The initial and main showing was on Friday 4th in the evening alongside fashion students which where also showcasing their work, the event was to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of world war 1. Me, Matt, Jamie, Sam and James volunteered to man the event and turned up relatively early, as well as others, on the day to make sure everything got set up and was working correctly, including the Oculus Rift. I personally thought the event went really well and lots of people we spoke to were interested in the project and very impressed which was nice. It makes the hard work on the project feel worth it as well as giving it a natural ending point even though it was also been shown from Thursday 11th – Saturday 13th.
For the 11th – 13th we was showing the project publicly at the heritage open days during the history centres normal opening times. We set up a schedule and I was scheduled for Thursday morning, all the equipment needed to be transported across to the history centre from our building and with no other way to transport it I got my car and drove it across with Tim and Gareth and started setting up. There wasn’t as much interest as the previous event but still got to speak to a few people that were interested in the project and how it was created.
Looking back and reflecting over the project and seeing and remembering all the mistakes I made myself and we made as a group I am still pleased with the overall result and end product of the project. Having the Oculus Rift set up and working was a high point in the project for me and made it much better then just solely having a fly through.