Here are some of the textures I’ve created and used for my Victorian buildings…
I’m still finding it hard to do brick textures as you can see, I think the dark brick one is pretty good though.
In a technical production skills session we learned how to tile textures to use for a building or path or something like that to make them look real and not just have to stretch out an image of a texture because that wouldn’t look real or good. We was taught how to do this technique using Photoshop.
So the first thing i did was to chose an image of a texture that i thought could be tiled so i chose this picture which i had took around hull, we had to make sure the image wasn’t at a funny angle or anything because then it would be too difficult to do. And then opened it in Photoshop.
Then i selected an area of the image using the Rectangular marquee tool and setting it to fixed size with the width and height both set to 1024 pixels. After that i created a new file and set it to the same pixels as the section i had selected so i could paste it in.
Once the selected area was pasted into the new file i offset it (Which is found by going to filter, other, offset) by half, so 512 for both horizontal and vertical. This made it look like 4 squares.
I then used the spot healing tool and the clone stamp to make it look like a real texture (seen below).
I created a new file 2048 by 2048 and duplicated the layer into it 4 times.
Finally i moved the layers into the correct place to create the tile effect that i could make as big as i liked.
The Final Image
I also used the same technique with some other textures as seen below…
I know some of them aren’t the best but the photo’s we got weren’t the greatest but you can see the technique. But for future reference i know to get better quality photo’s especially of brick walls because they are difficult to do.
This is some simple line art coloring i did in Technical production skills. I imported the image and then created a new layer and changed it to multiply so i was not changing the original but could still see the lines to go around. Then i used the magnetic lasso tool to go around the lines and then used the hue/saturation option to colour the body parts i wanted to. Then i used the burn and dodge tool to shade the image to try and give it a bit of texture. I decided not to use the same colours as the actual pokemon because i thought it would look better and in the end i came out with these two colored image’s.
Here is another version i did as well.
( Project Example)
Phillip Maclennan Games Design Blog. "Nothing Is Generic"
Jason Pook's Games Design Blog
An independent video game studio in Portland, OR
The Final Major Project of Matt Lane
David Smith - Games Designer, Gamer and Full Time Geek
Welcome to the thought factory
Complete Flash game tutorials in ActionScript 3
Student at Hull College - BA (Honours) Degree
A fine WordPress.com site
The work of Craig Overton
My world, the people, the places, the technology, the culture, the wars, the weapons, the deaths and births of many characters.
From the Ashes
Games Design Degree Work
More than just pretty pictures!
Get Inspired. Go Crazy. Create.
Games Games and more Games!
Game Dev Blog - (A HE Education, Research Project)
Work, Work and Work some more.
Art, Design, Books, Music, Ephemera, Esotericism, Eclecticism...
Year 3 Games Design Student
Year 3 Game Design HSAD Student
...(was) just a games design student