The second building for the client project I decided to create was a hotel for the town, using the concept from peer. Before I started modelling I looked at some reference imagery. One image in particular was useful. (Not my own image)
Following this I started modelling, my intention was to keep it as efficient as possible, using few meshes and one texture atlas for the full building. Once I’d finished the main parts of the hotel I split it into three meshes an tested it in UE4. With it been only three meshes for such a large building the lightmaps had nowhere near enough resolution. I then broke it up into fifteen meshes which worked out much better.
I ended up with this in engine which I didn’t think would be too bad with text added to the signs but kind of looked a bit bland. So I used Gareth’s technique to print off an image of the building and draw over it.
This was a quick way to add some more details and make it more interesting to look at.
I will still make a few more tweaks but this is pretty much the hotel at completion.