Dead Island is a action role-playing game developed by Techland and published by Deep Silver, it was realised in 2011 and a sequel is set to come out in 2015. It’s an open world game played from a first person perspective on a fictional tropical island resort called Banoi. You pick from four playable characters with different abilities and It’s an experienced based game in which you level up your character using a skill tree, you gain experience from killing zombies and completing quests. Combat is mostly melee weapons with a variety of weapons that can be customized and combined with items using blueprints that you find, guns are also available. I was looking at the game for the environment and potential assets but even though it’s zombie based it isn’t similar to what I will be producing so it isn’t as useful as other game’s I’ve researched. I have played the game but don’t own it anymore so I have watched some YouTube videos to refresh my memory and take some notes what I think could be useful for my project.
- Lot’s of looting.
- Loot from the environment, suitcases and bins.
- Alcohol, money, energy drinks and food (regain health) everywhere.
- Suitcases, bins, cupboards etc only open slightly to loot eliminating the need to model inside.
- Stamina bar for sprinting, jumping and combat.
- Lot’s of customized weapons (asset?).
- Ability to throw melee weapons and collect them again.
- Assets – Fan, radio, plants, fire extinguisher, pain killers, phone, vending machine, alcohol.
Some images from the game (not my own):