Following on from researching various leisure center building designs and floor plans, I begin coming up with some designs for my own environment. I’m designing the floor plan/building as it would be in modern day and not in my zombie apocalypse theme, I will decided what each room has been repurposed for later. Here are some of my designs:
After coming up with these designs I decided that my favourite and one that would work the best is design 2 (Marked by the tick) because it has a second floor and I think the layout will work better. I put this design and started to break it up using block colours in Photoshop to clearly define the areas.
- The dark blue indicates the corridors and balcony’s.
- Corridor from reception too wide.
- 3 sets of stairs, 2 public use and 1 staff use.
- Grey indicates no second floor.
I then took my design and decided to recreate it in Minecraft to help me get a feel for how it would look in 3D.
Top down view.
Overview of the building.
Pool area from the second floor, showing the balcony and cafe on the right.
Not all of the rooms will need to be created because I will block access to certain places as the area would be way too big. My initial idea for the movement of the player:
- Wake up in the upstairs storage room with 2 locked doors leading to the gym and an office.
- The player will find a key in this room which opens to the office which has a staircase.
- The player will have obstacles to overcome to possibly show jumping and crouching mechanic (If Implemented).
- Confronted by 2 more locked doors in another storage room the player will need to find a key or way to open a door.
- The door will open to this office which is near the reception.
From here I’ve not decided where the player will go but I plan the objective to be to go restore power to the building by starting up a generator then trying to escape or find out why they are there. This initial section could potentially change. From here I am going to decide the dimensions of my character and then blockout my building in 3DS Max.